Tuesday, April 15, 2014

One thing I'll miss...

When I graduate are probably seminars.

And by seminars, I'm including both my own departments and everything else I've attended. To be honest, I absolutely love the campus environment and how readily information and knowledge is available. Yes, you can drop by a class, but without being there from the very beginning, this makes it very challenging to follow it somewhere in the middle.

Seminars on the other hand are designed in such a way that allow access for a wide range of audiences depending on their major and background knowledge. Therefore, there are little barriers of entry to free learning.

In particular, the one I attended yesterday was titled: "Context and Connection", being held by the School of Architecture. Short story, I learned some amazing designs for living modules of polar science camps (primarily in Antarctica). Secondly, in relation to my major, these designs are partially feasible only because of improved materials (such as fiber-glass structures) that provide both the adequate strength as well as insulating conditions. Aside from a material standpoint though, the design perspective needs to take into account human interactions on a daily basis such that they feel where they are living can be safely called "home".


Anyways, I've learned a lot of random things since coming to CMU. The seminars provide an escape from my field, in particular the further in connection they are. Other seminars I've attended included the department of music with a famous pianist, listening to a orchestral director held by the management of the arts, two students attempting to license out their design versus a startup, and so forth. I don't always understand or remember everything, but they continuously broaden my perspective of the world.

Get out there and learn, through whatever means and mediums work best for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment