Monday, February 3, 2014

TMS 2014 Preparations

It's that time again. Two weeks before the conference and time to start making a presentation. This time it's actually an oral and a poster presentation. But if I have understood correctly, the poster session I have signed up for is dedicated for undergraduate and graduate students, for the poster competition. Which hopefully takes off some pressure of me as my poster goal is to publicize my research versus a prize.

After doing two oral presentations at MS&T 2013, I found that it was too much to prepare mentally. The results were there, but taking time to have a clear and lucid presentation for both proved to be challenging. In fact at the end of the day, I'm not sure if either came across well either. Although the reasoning behind two talks was that my previous group members had did it before, and basically told me it was a fun one time experience (even though my advisors do it all the time).

I decided the best way to get your value out of a conference though was to do two presentations in order to maximize your exposure. Whether this is true or not, I'll find out. However when working on so many varied projects, this is also the only way to create a discussion for each one. Hence having both an oral talk and poster for TMS.

My oral talk is primarily focused on the effects of temperature and deformation on recrystallization, more specifically twinning. We already know that twinning is highly dependent on the recrystallization stage of the microstructure. Thereby by alternating variables that influence recrystallization, we should expect a change in the twin content of the material as well. Thus the talk will focus on the results of those experiments.

My poster will be focused on the use of Monte-Carlo simulations for twin formation during recrystallization. This has been more or less a side project for me. There are no conclusive results, but should hopefully interest anyone who works with microstructural simulation or twin formation. Of course everything is still only a simulation, so it can never be perfectly representative of a real experimental microstructure.

Back to work! After the talks and posters (and beaches!), it's paper writing again...

No comments:

Post a Comment