Wednesday, February 26, 2014

TMS Conference Re-Cap (Part 3 of 3)

The talks
I unfortunately found no posters that stood out as outstanding to me. But there are several talks that really stood out to me. I'll try my best to summarize them. 

This is by no means the best of list, but just the ones that did stick to me.

D.P. Fields and M.Taheri's work with Nye tensors to calculate the minimum GND content. Especially through the use of higher resolution systems such as ASTAR is absolutely impressive. While at first I was threatened by their work, I realize I'll never be on the TEM and whatever they do is a nice compliment to the scientific community of annealing twin formation.

D.J. Jensen's talk on X-Ray synchrotron for investigating old problems such as recrystallization and abnormal grain growth. After hanging around the physics group too much and being amazed by their work, I realize it doesn't matter unless something important is being investigated with a purpose. And while a lot of focus is on crack formation, voids, plasticity, old problems matter just as much. In fact these are often overlooked because we have forgotten about them even though we are constantly being provided with a new set of tools.

G.S. Rohrer's talk on big data. This one may be biased since he comes from Carnegie Mellon and is an excellent speaker. However he really emphasizes a point on data transparency and sharing. While the emphasis is to share data by making it readily available once you're done investigating your areas of interest, it also makes just as much sense that others can repeat the same data analysis on your data for validity.

No comments:

Post a Comment