Monday, February 24, 2014

TMS Conference Re-Cap (Part 1 of 3)

Yes I'm over a week late...

Overall the TMS 2014 conference was an excellent experience, especially being my first TMS ever. Although rather pricey, that was a fault of San Diego and not of the conference itself. I'll divide this post up into three parts...

Student Poster Session
This actually turned out to be a very enjoyable experience. Although it conflicted with the talk times, there were still several people who passed by. And while the majority were my own classmates, it was fun to show them essentially what I count as a side project.

The poster contest also implied that there were judges who talked to each presenter to understand their work. Although we we're suppose to get a total of four judges, because of me running in and out, I only met with two of them. 

Talking to a judging panel was surprisingly more nerve wracking than I expected. I suppose it's primarily the issue that you know someone is critiquing what you're presenting, versus just reading it for information. 

Furthermore, it isn't necessarily your work that is being critiqued, but how well you're explaining your work. Again, in some sense this reminded me of the three minute thesis. One judge asked me for a brief run down, while the other asked me for a sixty second version.

This really tested both your ability to convey information, but whether you had the right stuff on the posters to support what you were saying. Ultimately, my poster was often felt overshadowed by my neighbors awesome poster, which was also a MC model. But she won both the division and best of show!

My own rewards from the poster session is that someone (one of the judges) actually told the other that I had something really interesting and to check it out. So I must've done something right in this last minute poster I made...

More to follow-up tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment